Crown of Midnight - Sarah J. Maas I received a copy of this book from Netgalley for review.

This series is definitely one of my favorites to recommend. It's got great pacing, writing, plot, action, characters, heart, etc. Celaena is a wonderful protagonist. She the right balance of strong and vulnerable. She's smart and awesome, but she still has faults. Even when she makes decisions that you don't agree with, Sarah J. Maas has made it obvious why she's doing things the way she's doing them. Plus, she likes chocolate cake and libraries. Her BFF Nehemia is equally as awesome for different reasons. She's out to do whatever she has to do in order to help her people. Her conversations with Celaena are great because they talk about how to make the world a better place. Their devotion and loyalty to each other are astounding and Maas makes you feel it. Chaol, the love interest, is delightful and dreamy. I love how they are equals and help each other. There's a particularly great passage where Celaena explains Chaol based on his bookshelf and how they are different. It's charming.

There is a big thing that happens about halfway through that I was VERY upset by, but I get why it happened. It's necessary for the plot to move forward the way it does. I did have to run around so I could compose myself.

There wasn't much to improve upon from the first book, but there were two minor quibbles I had that were fixed in this book. The first was that for an assassin, Celaena doesn't kill a whole lot of people in the first book. This changes in this book. She goes on several tears and is deadly and absolutely fantastic. The other problem was the king and his backstory. It's weird that he just took over and kicked out magic and WON against pretty much everyone. He is fleshed out more and how he amassed his kingdom is explained. Once you have that information things make a lot more sense.

Basically, do yourself a favor and get this book ASAP.